..

Monday 20 January 2020

‘Bung me a...

hundred nicker!’ I foolishly said. 
Not for one moment thinking he would.  All very well saying it in a letter, at the same time offering to talk him through how to use the infernal contraption.

‘Just think how much easier and tasty you food will be if you let me instruct from afar, being as my culinary skills are held in such high esteem in many circles across the land!?!’ 
Now where I went wrong was to mention it in passing when we spoke on the telephone last night, weeks after the offer was made.

‘Aah yes, a good idea.  I had completely forgotten about it.  A better idea would be for you to come up and show me how to use it!’
‘Err, my darling, I would but it is such a long way for me to come to give you a cookery demonstration!’
Ludlow to top left hand corner of the Highlands... he was obviously pushing it.
Why oh why did I think to come up with the idea in the first place as I carefully packed in their Christmas hamper stock cubes and soup mix of many pulses and lentils, pasta even?  As the husband would say I do have previous, so who else to blame I ask you?

‘I will get Alistair onto to it tomorrow, he will be only too delighted to be sending something to LL!’
The money will be winging its way as we speak.
Oh dear! another fine mess I have got myself into.  Not only that but I have to talk them through how to use the darned thing without blowing themselves into the Minch.




This is for Joanne, The lighthouse at Stoer, close to where I used to live overlooking the Minch, or Minches.

10 comments:

  1. You've outdone yourself this time LL, I have no idea whats happening here!! I think you've sent soup stuff to the highlands and they've to give you £100? Seriously?? Or is there a contraption involved too? I'm confused, not hard I agree, but nevertheless I require further information please! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. A pressure cooker, see above, which I took up with me in September when I went to see them. The ‘boys’ (84 and 82) have a huge freezer full of lamb, beef and venison which when up there I cooked a goodly amount for them to then refreeze. The flavour for them was so much better than they had managed to achieve. So in my Christmas hamper I suggested they buy the same pressure cooker I use, which I ought to say isn’t one jot like the old one’s which people were afraid would blow up! I suggested I order one for them and have it sent direct. I would have to explain very fully how to use it though, because the controls are a tad like the bridge of Star Ship Enterprise! I do tend to get myself into some pickles, it’s always been the same... ‘pose it’s too late now to change?

    LX

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't realize that you had lived on the Western Isles...we go up once a year or so to stay with friends in Tolsta.
    Pressure cookers have improved over the years,not least that they are steel instead of Aluminium..but they are still basically the same but with more knobs on!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just across from Lewis on the North West coast... Stoer. The photograph is of the Stoer lighthouse.

      This pressure cooker is so good as it is silent, just plug it in. Adding of course the meat, stock cubes, onions, carrots and a sprinkle of the soup mixture, and the boys have not only a nutritious dinner but a tasty one as well. Which between you and me I don’t think they had experienced until I showed up with my magic machine, hence my offer of getting them one.

      LX

      Delete
  4. I have not advanced to pressure cookers. My mother won one at a company picnic, and mastered it, and scared the bejammers out of me; I was terrified to use it. My brother took it on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This machine is a pussy cat, it purrs instead of spits and hisses I can highly recommend it. It is multi function from sautéing to slow cooking. Pressure cooking saves so much time and obviously power.

      I wait with bated breath as to whether the money actually arrives? Then my work goes up a gear or two as I endeavour to simply with photo’s and copious notes show how to operate the thing! Why do I do it I ask myself?

      LX

      Delete
  5. I had one many years ago, but was too scared to use it ! A silent one might be nicer, but that one looks as if a degree in use of pressure cookers might be required.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a bit of a pressure cooker expert having taken one with me on my time on Masterchef many moons ago. Loyd Grossman era... that long!

      This wee beastie is a beaut. I just love it especially at this time of year when warming stews are the order of the day.

      LX

      Delete
  6. Won't there be fulsome instructions along with the pressure cooker when 'the boys' receive it? These things generally come with a recipe booklet too, which would give them a good idea of what's required.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, however I will be able to tailor make the instructions to their particular requirements. Added to which I know how to simplify exactly what they want. Easy!?! Love the word ‘fulsome’...

      LX

      Delete

This is...

  Doris... This is her offspring... Back in the days of us living in Ludlow my son and family came to stay.  They loved my bread so much I o...