..

Sunday 19 January 2020

The rules of...

the game.

It’s cross between petanque and bowls with one exception...
there ain’t no skill involved!  Oh, that and the fact it is played indoors.
The aim of the game is to ensure the opposition gets cream-crackered.  Thus easing her demands for a nano-second, until her second wind returns and off she wants to go again.  Personally I blame myself as I was the one who came up with the all weather venue.
I best explain the finer points of splat the rat.  Sitting in the armchair quietly minding my own business along comes my dreaded opponent who brooks...
absobloominlutely no argument about play... like now!
With my very best blanking technique I get nudged, woofled at, jumped on until after many minutes of trying to gain my attention, she does eventually give up.  I then craftily get up and pretend it was my idea in the first place.  The fact she is quick enough to work out that it was her idea is a mere bagatelle in my simple human brain.

This is the pitch, piste, call it what you will, the aim is to get the ball to hit the case protecting the palm which then rebounds every which way.  Trouble is... it does!  Already we have had precious treasures like the Hacks tin crashing to the floor not to mention the odd pot plant. I think the blame lays firmly at my door as I am afraid to admit I am the oik around here!  Ellie just does what dogs do, jumps to catch the ball and sometimes manages a bit of rebound off the ceiling walls and windows.
What is an old dear to do reaching the twilight of her years?
Play on! says I...

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. We do, although I have made an art form of grumbling about having to do it.

      LX

      Delete
  2. I used to play a similar game with our Cairns. From my chair in the living room, a ball cleverly ricocheted off a bench in the hall could travel into the bath or an adjacent bedroom. All from my chair, only.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shift my creaking bod out of the armchair and every time I bend to pick up the ball I am sure I feel the inches dropping away from my waist. Exercise of a fun kind, what is there not to like?

      LX

      Delete
  3. Who needs an expensive gym membership when you have a lively young dog - and a potential allotment?

    I love hearing about Ellie's happiness with her new life, and I love 'hearing' how much this move has revitalised you! Good times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fun time having Ellie. We see folk in the woods who stop and remark at how much more confident she is. Stopping for coffee at the Green cafe right by the river Teme, she sat beside our table outside very happy and content, not as she did in the early days cowering behind me. In the market yesterday people queued up to talk to us about how pretty she is and how it is obvious she isn’t 100% happy... yet! Elaine you are so right about how she has brightened our lives. She is a an absolute joy and a total pain in equal measures!

      LX

      Delete
  4. You really should have got a much more old codger type of dog! Our dog, although only 6 years old, behaves, and has done since being 8 weeks old (!) like an old man! He runs to get the ball, chases it two or three times when I throw it then lies down and pushes it away with his paw. I have then to roll it back to his paw and he pushes it back to me again. If my aim is rubbish and I miss said paw he just lies and looks at me as if to say, well you're the one who missed so you can go get it now!! And, of course I do! There is no hope for either of us! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did discuss whether a young dog was a good idea, mainly from it outliving us? However as I am as daft as a brush and act most times like a tantrumy toddler we decided a young rescue collie was the best. If only for peace for the husband who is off the hook with my ‘What shall we do next for badness?’ type of carry-on. Worrying from which ever way you look at it, however I don’t suppose I will change now!?!

      LX

      Delete

This is...

  Doris... This is her offspring... Back in the days of us living in Ludlow my son and family came to stay.  They loved my bread so much I o...