..

Friday 10 April 2020

Look, I might offend...

some folk here, but it has been a family joke for years...
hold tight...
hostess trolleys!
It started when my son and his wife and children went over to her parents for Sunday lunch.  The hostess trolley would ceremoniously be rolled out groaning with twenty six different veg(slight exaggeration) the joint, roasties and Yorkshire pud’s.
The fact that there was barely enough space in the dining room for them let alone the flaming trolley was completely overlooked. My son who had the honour of sitting next to it, had to wait until last as he  served the rest of the family.
All the contents were at least hot-ish, if not a tad over cooked by then!
Unbeknown to them, unkindly we got a lot of mileage out of this apparatus of yesteryear.  So much so that when they divorced it seemed only natural to enquire as to who had custody of the flaming trolley?
All of this came into my mind when I emailed my son to say we were self isolating and I had to chain the husband’s leg to the drinks cabinet to prevent him from going out to shop!
Drinks cabinet?
Hostess trolley?
You see the link?
I then went on to say after this lock down is lifted I plan on reverting back to my ‘invite the world and his wife to dine’ persona that I once had! For this very reason the first thing on my shopping list will be... yes, you’ve guessed it... a
hostess trolley.
They will read my missive and come to the conclusion she’s been off her trolley for years so I suppose now is the right time to get a new one!?!


16 comments:

  1. School dinners come to mind! I remember at our primary school, lunch was served in the gym hall with long trestle tables and long benches laid out then you took your tray to the dinner ladies who ladled all sorts of disgusting smelling stuff from metal containers that looked a lot like the photo of the hostess trolley! It put me off cabbage forever! However one thing I do remember fondly was the caramel cake and custard - now that I wish I could recreate lol. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hostess trolley more like a dinner lady charabanc fuelled by gypsy tart, caramel cake and custard and tapioca and jam. 0-60 gph (gulps per hour) in five seconds..............

      LX

      Delete
  2. A very useful thing..if you have the room!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have the room like a Royal household or a stately home, you wouldn’t want one... you would have a goodly compliment of staff to see you would never have the need for such an interesting bit of kit.

      LX

      Delete
  3. Bar carts are all the rage over here - very mid-century modern! The nearest I can get to that is my IKEA Raskog cart - and yes, some folks have used that but I'm afraid mine does duty in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mid century modern,.. a great phrase... antiques of the future...

      LX

      Delete
  4. I absolutly love my hostess trolly. Wonderful contraption!
    Used for every Sunday lunch or family get together, even bonfire night to keep warm jacket potatoes, soup and pulled pork. Sadly languishing unused at present but will be welcomed back like a long lost friend when all this social distancing is over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you Sally... tried and tested, a faithful friend.

      LX

      Delete
  5. "For gracious living". It makes all the difference. My mother had one for Sundays. We were ungracious for the rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you still sat around the table even on the ‘ungracious’ weekdays? How times have changed!

      LX

      Delete
  6. LMAO since I think everyone of my Parent's Era had one of those Trolleys! My Parent's Trolley was classic Sixties faux Woodgrain Metal with Clear Lucite Wheels and Chrome, lots of Chrome! The Wheels always groaned... you've given me a heady dose of Humorous Nostalgia, Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pleased it has given you a taste of a long forgotten bygone era, especially now! How will we all look back on this I wonder?

      LX

      Delete
  7. OK so I just LMAO reading that Ad... "enables you to Entertain with Dignity--- even when efficient Domestic Help is not available"... OMG who were THOSE people that had Domestic Help and found it undignified to Entertain their own Guests... certainly not the Circles we moved in... bwahahahahahahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My family always managed to get all that food on the table of whoever was hosting. Then the rigamarole of either passing the food or passing the plates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always plonk large oval dishes in the centre of the table and let folk dive in and help themselves. Every man for himself sort of thing.

      LX

      Delete

This is...

  Doris... This is her offspring... Back in the days of us living in Ludlow my son and family came to stay.  They loved my bread so much I o...