..

Friday 8 May 2020

I got to...

thinking about VE day and the recipes used during the war.
That then led me on to my appearance on Masterchef back in 1992, a tenuous link but there you are!
My second round menu featured potato pastry, no one on the judging team Anton Edelmann, Loyd Grossman and Sue Lawley had ever heard of it!
Now I ought to say here I am not old enough to remember the war, however I am interested in wartime recipes!  My pheasant pie with potato pastry they loved enough for me to win the semi final.
Not so my carrot tart in the final sadly!
The judges in the final were Richard Shepherd and Clement Freud.
My final menu wasn’t at all well received.  Although Richard Shepherd did say my shortcrust pastry was good  on the carrot 
tart.

I didn’t win!  No surprise there! I did however as a consequence go on to do so many exciting things.

Daytime television, radio... yes, cooking on the radio!?!  My son, well remembers hearing me setting the fire alarm off in the radio station.  The alarm reverberating through the airwaves.  Talks, demonstrations and finally three years as a royal chef.
All from being on Masterchef.
I often say now, I wouldn’t have done so well on today’s Masterchef.  My flying by the seat of your pants type cookery would have soon been routed out and I feel sure I would have been turfed  out at the first hurdle!


Happy days!

I am now off to make coffee cake with wartime Camp coffee... any excuse for cake!

Ellie, if you can see her is admiring the bunting?


i



9 comments:

  1. Seat of the pants cooking is real life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That gz is how I have conducted my life... give it some welly type of thing! Strangely it has worked for me, no idea why?

      LX

      Delete
  2. I see Ellie.And you are the blondest blond?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ‘Fraid not, that was to hide the grey! After my talk people would come up afterwards and look at the photographs. I overheard one woman say to the other ‘ Look at her hair then, she was blonde, look at her now, it’s grey!’ I smiled to myself thinking if only she knew the reason it was highlighted. Now I have more sense, nature has given me highlights and I’m saving shedloads of money!

      LX

      Delete
  3. The war I don't remember! Once I was school age, no need for recipes just boiled potato and salt. Other days after school I made "water soup" what I called it. I boiled water with a bit of flour and some sugar...What a sad time it was!....It must have been a lot of fun to be on Masterchef back in 1992 and no I can't see Ellie but I think it is the same place where you got that Monster Iron thingy? Lovely picture of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was great fun. I went thinking if I make a total cock-up, no one will die, well unless I poison them !?! So I drifted along determined to have a ball and I did!

      Cheerful photo I agree, you wouldn’t think I had just lost. Today I hate having my photograph taken... call it vanity. When I see the result I can hardly believe the ‘vision’ that is captured is me... yes most definitely vanity!

      LX

      Delete
  4. A Celeb... how exciting... well done! I Love watching the Food Network Contests between talented Chefs. My Dad was a Master Chef but that Talent skipped right over me to my Younger Brother! *Le Sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hardly a celeb, dahling!?! Just a lass that has taken advantage of all life has to offer... a glass half full girl!

      Sorry to hear your genes didn’t get your dad’s talent, I am sure you sparkle in other ways?

      KX

      Delete

This is...

  Doris... This is her offspring... Back in the days of us living in Ludlow my son and family came to stay.  They loved my bread so much I o...