..

Monday 28 October 2019

His boney bum...

sat on a hard chair.
His owl eyes through pebble thick glasses read the paper.
His ears are now just for decoration.
The lino at his feet long ago lost its pattern with the passage of time.
The fire in the grate burning brightly was a comfort of sorts.
Clinging to the cliff top overlooking the Atlantic ocean the croft has seen many a fierce storm. 
It was good to be back.

Bittersweet memories of my recent trip.

We drove away from my dear neighbours, me with tears in my eyes.  The night before I’d said, this will probably the last time we come to see you.

‘Don’t say that, you mustn’t think it either!’ 
the brother said who had pole position smack in front of the fire. The tears glistening in his eyes I tried not to notice.

The thing is... Our visit made me yearn to go back, to recreate my five happy but hard years living off the land.  I am now thirty five years older!  A dream, just that, to live again amongst the Highlanders, the most generous and kind hearted of folk.

A special, magical time in my life with many happy memories to call on.


 This was where I lived, just back from the sea. Ten miles to the nearest village.

So much has changed in the intervening years.






6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. And some! So many stories, folk wouldn’t believe...

      LX

      Delete
  2. Memories worth having and holding onto

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a happy, happy time. I won’t hear a wrong word about the Scots generosity, I love ‘em!

      LX

      Delete
  3. Oh my! On that photograph, is that the fallen away cliff just beyond the stone wall??? It's VERY close to the edge, if so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, that is just a huge bolder. I used to have my washing line along the wall and well remember one morning hanging my drawers on the line when from over the sea came a low-flying jet. I didn’t hear it until it was directly above. Apart from ducking I needed another wash of my drawers! Slight exaggeration, but I’m sure you can imagine the shock?

      LX

      Delete

This is...

  Doris... This is her offspring... Back in the days of us living in Ludlow my son and family came to stay.  They loved my bread so much I o...