..

Friday 13 March 2020

Hold tight, how the...

mighty have fallen... in one short day from yesterday’s blog post!

The husband has a cough, we were going to see some dear friends on Sunday.  The dragon that is me decided that it would be prudent in view of their very elderly parents to postpone the trip.
A superbly sensible decision, even though I say it myself!?!
I was on a bossy roll, deciding to rush out and get enough loo rolls to build a impregnable wall around our little patch.  That I ought to say is a stonking fib, I only got enough for a drawbridge... fib... ditto!
For an old girl I only have one speed, warp factor... squillon.

Getting home unloading the shopping, I sat long enough for one cup of coffee to be downed, then off I strode up to town. For this self-imposed exile I needed library books, so best I go before that emporium of maybe germ-ridden items, sported a black cross on the door.
As I stepped smartly out, a woman was stood smack in my path.
She said,
‘I saw you coming from way off and I just have to tell you how wonderful you look!  You have obviously taken a deal of care over your outfit!’
My mouth opened and closed a couple of times as I glanced down at my hastily thrown-on togs!

‘Thank you, my husband often says what is it about us women that we compliment each other?’
Thanking her once again I floated off at speed, into the library.  In, two books chosen then home via the fishmongers.
And this is where it all came tumbling down.  Marching away, I looked down at my scarf which was coming untied.  Ever so gently I felt a slight shift in my head. Oh no, not the dreaded BPPV!  Just disregard it I thought as I slowed my pace.  As I stepped onto the walkway to the High Street, I started the usual listing to starboard.  Just get to the fish shop and then it will go... famous last words!  I got the fish paid and then said
‘Do you mind if I sit down as I have a vertigo attack just about to overtake me?’
They couldn’t have been kinder.
I phoned up the man for him to come and pick me up. I sat trying not to move and willing myself not to gag!  I was led away by himself looking for all the world like the drunk I probably appeared to passers by!  Once in the car I dry-heaved all the way home!  
Getting in I was horribly sick I then went to bed with Gromit, my go-to sleeping companion in times of illness... a hottie bottle!
After an hour’s sleep I feel a lot better, still delicate... not a word anyone would describe of me!
And here I am large as life and twice as ‘orrible!

Strangely enough I thought as I hadn’t had an attack since moving to Ludlow, I had grown out of it!
Wrong!  In fairness yesterday I had moved enough soil single-handed to make the ancient Egyptians proud.


12 comments:

  1. Do you get bouts of Menières? I did for a short while.
    Sending a virtual hug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first vertigo attack came on completely out of the blue at yoga, where it might not surprise you to know I gave it some welly? It was the neck stretches which I did harder and further than I should, I honestly thought I was having a stroke. My GP when I eventually got there, asked about where I was when it first happened. ‘Aah, yoga! It is BPPV so many of my patients get it at yoga! It is the crystals in the middle ear getting dislodged!’ Sadly I gave up yoga, which I loved and have only had it a few times since, never in Ludlow... I thought I’d cracked it! The annoying thing is it can be triggered by the simplest of things, as today. Trouble now is that after such a ghastly experience you feel conscious it is laying in wait for a false move. Alright I have been living life in the fast lane recently and only know one speed... full power! Maybe it is time for me to slow down?

      Thanks for the virtual hug, it is the only one to have these days...

      LX

      Delete
    2. I would possibly ask did you get a neck x-ray after that? Pirate has just had one due to some wobbly episodes...partly ear problems after being blown up in a van...a work prank leaving him with ear damage and permanent tinnitus. The other part is knackered neck....

      Delete
  2. Oh dear, poor you, that sounds horrible. You must remember to slow down, you're an old bag now, haven't you heard them say all oldies, those over the age of 60, are in imminent danger!! Honestly, they know how to make a person feel past their best!! I hope you feel better now. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup... slow down is now my mantra, blooming difficult for such a power house like me!?! ‘Old bag! says it in one, sadly! In my head I’m still twenty, the mirror gives me the message I might be deceiving myself, what do you think MG... careful!?!

      LX

      Delete
  3. What a mean, horrible, uncalled for reward for all your hard work of late. Better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I thought I was free. One minute I was firing on all cylinders the next I was floored. Not an experience I would wish on anyone. Feel a lot better today (Saturday) though. Memo to self ... slow down.

      LX

      Delete
  4. Nooooo! I hope you are feeling a whole lot better today. So, what were you wearing? My imagination is in overdrive - multiple multi-coloured frothy layers and floaty scarves, or richly coloured velvets and tweed? Teasing aside, slow down! I speak as one who has broken several and assorted toes over the years - simply through dashing about. We both need to learn how to plod around, but it isn't easy. How is Ellie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My usual beetle black palazzo pants, long black top, bright red down gilet, red beret (and you know what they say about red hat...?) and floaty red, black and grey silk scarf with scattering feathers pattern. We stopped and had a girl to girl chat about men’n’stuff, like you do, then went our separate ways. Coming out of the library the aforesaid scarf started to come undone, I glanced down to tie it and that was the movement that completely sent my world spinning. I wouldn’t mind but it was such a gentle move... weird or what? I have done far more rumbustious manouvres without a twinge!?! Plod? Err Elaine, I don’t think so for you or for me, get real lassie!

      Ellie is fine, she is finding her feet and morphing into a madam, I have to keep telling her there is only room for one madam around here!

      LX

      Delete
  5. So sorry about the health/vertigo issues and also that your hubby has the worrying cough - Corona-virus seems to be creeping in on us and like you I have been putting away (stock piling) just a little. It's scary seeing things change so fast but I am determined to be practical, organised and prepared. Like you I even have thought of the library, although I am lucky that we have online books via ours so I won't be bringing any home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forward planning and now you and I can feel a little pleased with ourselves for being slightly ahead of the game.

      Online books, our library has as well, thanks for the thought. Being a clot it never occurred to me... says it all really?

      LX

      Delete

This is...

  Doris... This is her offspring... Back in the days of us living in Ludlow my son and family came to stay.  They loved my bread so much I o...