..

Sunday 15 March 2020

What to do...

for the best?
I have all my life been a planner, get ahead of the game type of thing.
A catch phase of mine is
‘What can I do next for badness?’
Yes, really!
Now as I sit here in the quiet of the morning, husband still slumbering, still coughing.
I must say I am mildly alarmed.
Reading in this morning’s electronic newspaper how things will rapidly change and how we must all alter our ways for the greater good.  Today the severity of this virus is slowly occurring to even the most cheery and optimistic person i.e. ME!
Early on I had slowly built up a few extra tins, being a tomatoholic I feel strangely bereft if I don’t have eight tins in the house.  Tins of many and various beans, tins of sardines have always featured large on my shopping list.  My MO hasn’t changed.  Even the dreaded loo rolls, I have avoided the temptation to buy more than we want.  My cupboard boasts one pack of nine bought  weeks ago, which we haven’t even opened why buy more?  Being a cordon bleu chefette I can make nutritious food out of very little.  Dried beans and pulses make for a tasty well balanced and healthy dish, given the right amount of imagination.  Ready meals and the dreaded sell by dates don’t even come into my consciousness, let alone my culinary world!  If food gets really scarce folk aren’t going to say 
‘It’s a nanosecond out of date so I won’t eat it!’
Blooming ridiculous!
They will if push come to shove eat it and be grateful.
I make my own bread, I have a few bags of flour in store.  We have a milk delivery.  Inadvertently we have cracked it.  Wonders never cease!

Hold tight LL!  All your crowing is getting a tad OTT.  You do have one achilles heel...
Canapes?

Well not exactly canapés, canapés, but 
Cheesy Wotsits!


My son wandered in with a glass of wine to offer his visiting mama.
‘Just a mo while I get the canapés!’
I visibly brightened!
In he came with his mother’s secret passion... a large bowl of Cheesy Wotsits!
Ever since in our family world they are canapés.
Now in the event of you discovering a long lost bag of the aforesaid I would be extremely grateful if you could send them to me.  I will even pay the postage!




8 comments:

  1. Everyone has their weakness!
    You have obviously been brought up in a home that had a larder and a storecupboard..things that newer houses don't have, but should.
    That cough is worrying, whatever is causing it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And what a weakness to have? A larder, now there’s a thing to behold, every house should have one, I agree.

      The cough, and my horrible headache are worrying I admit... however what to do? Maybe wait until we get better or maybe worse? In the meantime we are staying put, just walking Ellie in the woods, then scurrying home for wall to wall Wotsits.

      LX

      Delete
  2. Has hubby been tested? You know a cough is 'the thing' to worry us all right?? I suspect they will just say to do whatever he's currently doing but you will have to be careful! Do you have lemons and honey in? If you do, boil some water, enough to cover 2 quartered lemons in a jug, then if you happen to have a bottle of glycerin (you'll get this in the chemist) so much the better, put a tablespoon in and then add enough honey to sweeten it to his taste. Get him to drink it as and when he wants and it will keep in the fridge for a day or so. Its very good for a cough. I love cheesy whatsits too, once you start eating them its hard to stop but oh how I hate those orange fingers afterwards lol. We're well stocked up and I subscribed us to Netflix yesterday so we have a good selection of movies and I just subscribed to my favourite magazine of the moment - Landscape so other than visiting my mum and keeping her out of trouble (hopefully) I'm set for the long stay in!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No he hasn’t been tested and what could it tell him if he was? As you say just do what we are doing. Added to which, the systems are going to be overloaded with the worried ‘well-ish’. We always have lots of lemons, limes and local honey so I will do as you suggest, He isn’t a great drinker of water, well unless there is a single malt to flavour it!?!

      You seem well sorted, ‘Landscape’ I haven’t heard of, I will have to look that up.

      Mum sorted and the dog? Just keep well!

      LX

      Delete
  3. Ps: Do you really need whotsits sent to you?? Do they not have them where you are? If you do, I can certainly send you some lol. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That made me laugh! No I have three packets left, which is more than enough for a podge like me. Added to which I could always renew my subscription to Cheesy Wotsits Anonymous. The habit isn’t one I’m proud of...

      LX

      Delete
  4. We call these Cheetoes, or President Trump look alikes.
    I did a survey of my pantry. I'm good for a month or more. And, I will bake some bread if my extra loaf in the freezer is gone before month's end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rich indeed! Love the President Trump look alikes! The colour match is exact, all they lack is the white eye surround and the colour coordinated hair.

      Domestic Goddess is it any day now for Joanne? Before you know it you will be throwing a good old English tea party, complete with cucumber sandwiches made with home baked bread.

      LX

      Delete

This is...

  Doris... This is her offspring... Back in the days of us living in Ludlow my son and family came to stay.  They loved my bread so much I o...